Peaches and Cream Peaches and Cream

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Creamy Eggnog Rice Pudding

After Gavin’s birthday (which is at the end of November-he turned 29!), we generally start getting things ready for Christmas.  This year, it seems like things have been going by way too quickly-I don’t have a tree yet, and I’ve only baked a small amount for the blog!  I’m slightly saddened by this, but there’s still time! J  I have so many ideas and so little time. But we will see!  Sometimes I work better under pressure;)

The fridge is generally stocked up with eggnog until past Christmas.  Gavin loves drinking it-especially with a wee bit of rum!  I don’t love it as much, so I will only have small sips here and there.  But this year, I decided that I needed make more of an effort to like it...and so I thought it would be a good idea to make it into my own rice pudding.  My mom used to make rice pudding when I was younger as a treat and I always loved it.  Turns out, it was a pretty smart idea!  I’ve added some cranberries, whip cream and some additional cinnamon to jazz in up a little and it’s great-give it a try!  It’s not the most fanciest of desserts, but it’s warm and comforting on a cold day.
 
Creamy Eggnog Rice Pudding
Makes 4 small servings (or 2 large!)

INGREDIENTS
¾ cup basmati rice
1 cup water
2 cups milk
1½ cups eggnog (light is okay)

½ -1 teaspoon rum extract
Cinnamon, to taste
¼ cup cranberries (optional)
Whip cream, optional

DIRECTIONS
In a medium saucepan, add the basmati rice, water, milk & eggnog. Bring to a boil, then reduce the temperature to low and cook, covered for about 20 minutes.

Once the rice is finished cooking, uncover and add the rum extract, cinnamon, cranberries (if using) and increase the temperature to medium. Let the rice come to a simmer and cook for an additional 16-20 minutes, uncovered.

Allow to cool slightly (or completely) & serve with whip cream.

Source: Peaches & Cream

1 comment:

  1. I don't care much for eggnog but this recipe makes it delicious! There will now be eggnog in my fridge for the holidays...and for this pudding.

    ReplyDelete

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios